WRITERS:
check out my new blog for all writing related posts.







Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why Blog?




Since I started my blog last month , by far the most common questions I’ve been asked are:
“Why are you blogging?”
“If you’re paid to write why give work away free?”
“ I'm a writer. Should I blog?”




The reasons I set up a blog are:

1. As an interim website.
So far I haven’t got round to building a website and I wanted somewhere online to upload and link my published articles.
Now when I send a query to a magazine I can give the link to my blog where they'll find a selection of my published articles.

2. To show that I can blog.
Online blogs are becoming more and more common and many companies hire bloggers to write for them.
The only way you can prove that you can write a blog…… is to write one.
Blogging is different from regular article writing in that it requires regular, original, often short, interesting content.
Unless a prospective employer can see that you can and are blogging you’re unlikely to be hired to do so.

3. To share unsold essays.
I always ‘sell’ my articles by query before I write them, but the every nature of essays means that the editor needs to see the finished piece before deciding if it’s suitable for his publication.
Not all mine have been sold and so occasionally I’ll upload one as part of a blog .

4. I love writing and a blog is another way to share things with readers.

---------------------------------------------------

If you’re a writer should you blog? That depends ….

If any of the above reasons that I blog apply to you then why not consider it.

If you have published a book or an ebook then a blog is a great way to advertise and increase sales.

If you have never had any articles published yet, then a blog is a way to show you can write. When you query an editor you can provide a link to your blog to see samples of your writing. But make sure that what’s up there is your best work.

HAPPY BLOGGING

2 comments:

Reb Mordechai Reviews said...

Your comment that you are writing in your spare time for free reminds me of a Monty Python sketch:

(A man has paid for a a 5 minute argument with a professional arguer called Mr Brating. Only 3 minutes have gone by)

Mr Brating: Sorry the five minutes is up.

Man: That was never five minutes just now!

Mr Brating: I'm afraid it was.

Man: No it wasn't.

Mr Brating: I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

Man: What!?

Mr Brating: If you want me to go on arguing you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

Man: But that was never five minutes just now ... oh Come on! This is ridiculous.

Mr Brating: I'm very sorry, but I told you I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

Man: Oh. all right. (pays another pound note) There you are.

Mr Brating: Thank you.

Man: Well?.

Mr Brating: Well what?

Man: That was never five minutes just now.

Mr Brating: I told you I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!

Man: I've just paid.

Mr Brating: No you didn't.

Man: I did! I did! I did!

Mr Brating: No you didn't.

Man: Look I don't want to argue about that.

Mr Brating: Well I'm very sorry but you didn't pay.

Man: Aha! Well if I didn't pay, why are you arguing ... got you!

Mr Brating: No you haven't.

Man: Yes I have ... if you're arguing I must have paid.

Mr Brating: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.

Man: I've had enough of this.

Mr Brating: No you haven't.

Man: Oh shut up! (he leaves and sees a door marked complaints; he goes in) I want to complain.

Ann Goldberg said...

Mordechai,
Have you got the transcripts of all the Monty Python sketches or do you remember them all off by heart?

The best I can manage is a few one liners from Fawlty Towers - but they do come in useful quite often!