WRITERS:
check out my new blog for all writing related posts.







Sunday, May 1, 2011

Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel - May 2nd

I have written on Holocaust themes many times and by far the most popular blog post – the one that gets the most ‘visits’ is this one about the hidden synagogue built in Theresienstadt concentration camp

A HOLOCAUST STORY – The Hidden Synagogue of Theresienstadt

The people mentioned in the story are still trying to find someone who knew of this synagogue-  maybe even prayed in it so please pass on the story to anyone you know who might have been  in Theresienstadt.

Both sets of my grandparents were from Germany and I well remember my amazement when I heard this story about my grandfather.

IMG_1861

A cattle truck used to transport Jews to concentration camp now on display at the Holocaust Memorial, Yad Vashem in Jerusalem

 

My mother and her sisters reached the safety of England on the kindertransport and  her first months there were very traumatic.

I wrote in last week’s blog that this year marks  50 years since the capture and trial of Adolf Eichmann Hitler’s second in command who carried out the edicts of  the Third Reich  with terrifying enjoyment  and horrifying precision.

These stories and all the other accounts of survivors must continue to be told so that the world never forgets and no one can ever deny what happened.

1 comment:

Rosalind Adam said...

I well remember your blog about Theresienstadt. I asked the only Holocaust survivor that I know and he has no memories of the synagogue. It's sad that you've not been able to trace anyone with memories of it but you're keeping its memory alive by talking about it here and maybe one day someone will contact you with more memories.

All these memories must never be forgotten.